Some people can plunge into a new project without planning ahead. Others find that writing a plan is helpful and keeps them on track. Here are a few reasons why an exercise and physical activity plan might be a good idea.
A plan can help you:
- Stay motivated to include physical activity as part of your daily life. Get an exercise buddy or buddies to help keep you motivated and maintain your exercise routine.
- Be organized so you can fit exercise and physical activity into your current lifestyle.
- Get ready to be more active. Do you need to get new exercise shoes or clothes? Do you need equipment, like weights or a tennis racket? Will you have expenses (like health club fees) that you need to fit into your budget?
What to include in your physical activity plan:
- Your reasons for being physically active.
- Your short- and long-term goals.
- The activities you plan to do.
- When, where, and with whom you will be active.
- Things you need to do to get started and keep going.
Make it a plan that works.
- Be realistic based on how physically active you are now.
- Be specific in the details.
- Include a weekly worksheet that details your activities.
Review and update your plan regularly. Adjust your plan as needed.
Make a contract with a friend or family member to carry out your plan. It can help you stick with it.